Thursday, May 24, 2007

It finally happened. You know, for a while now I'd been wondering what was wrong with me. I have a good job, a decent haircut, an unremarkable odour and a witty sense of humour (just gulp that for a while - this story supports it). There is nothing particularly revolting about me, except perhaps my feet, but I conceal them well. So, I was wondering why this hadn't happened earlier.

So, I was in Mumbai a few weeks earlier, and while leaving home, my grand mother, in her ever-feeble voice, said, "Arjun, tujhyasaaathi ek mulgi sangun geli aahe". Now I had no frigging clue what that meant, so I put up my clueless Maharashtrian-boy-brought-up-in-Bangalore look. My grandmother got the hint rather well... though sometimes she overdoes it - one time recently she even tried telling me how shrikhand was made. I was plain offended. Every Maharashtrian boy worth his modak should know that!

However, this time she was right on the money. So she explained "Arre, laganyasaathi" (for a marriage [to you]). "Dentist aahe. Tichya aaini vicharla, tujhyabaddal." (She's a dentist. Her mother asked about you). Ah!

So I said, "Majhe daat sagale ajun nighale naahi aahet. Nighalyanantar baghuya". (All my teeth haven't popped out yet. Once they do, we'll see). My sisters giggled, my grandmother grimaced. And that was the end of that.

I don't think my grand mother will be 'helpful' again soon!

4 comments:

Sumit Sorde said...

Welcome! Lets share some tips on how to defend the bachelorhood :D

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna keep checking back for updates .. not on ur marriage front :P but on how to defend the horrifying idea of the Big M

-Who else would even care to respond ;D

Anonymous said...

you are the dude! (This is for your response)

Arjun Karande said...

@sumit: "Umm mom, I have something to tell you. I'm gay". But perhaps it's a little extreme, don't you think?

@anonymous: I have no clue who you are, since almost everyone I know is in the same soup. We're going through that awkward marriage-puberty age thing. The want to settle down crawling in, hair threatening to fall out... you know.

@anonymous: Thanks, although it was being unduly cruel to poor granny :)